The Food Justice Team advocates for human health and animal welfare while promoting equitable food systems that sustain the environment, alleviate hunger, and support farm and food workers. Human health and animal welfare. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about when we meet and our current projects.
Human health and animal welfare
- Eating a mostly plant-based diet is good for your health: Check out the VegMichigan website for helpful information.
- Did you know about The Barn Sanctuary in Chelsea? Their goal is to give animals a second chance: The Barn Sanctuary: Saving The Farm & The Animals – Hobby Farms
Equitable food systems
- What is a “Food Desert”, and is Detroit one? Not necessarily. See this Spartan News Room article: Detroit’s status as ‘food desert’ challenged as more produce options emerge – Spartan Newsroom (msu.edu)
- Where are the farmer’s markets in Michigan? Farmers Markets | Michigan
- Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) in Washtenaw County: This link shows you a list of WASHTENAW COUNTY CSAs
- Local Native American food justice: Indigenous food markets in Michigan grow as Native Americans reclaim heritage
- Look for our Harvest Dinner on October 1, featuring all Native American foods (part of the UUAA Auction).
- Regenerative agriculture is a way of farming that focuses on soil health. When soil is healthy, it produces more food and nutrition, stores more carbon and increases biodiversity – the variety of species. Regenerative agriculture can help feed the world. What is it? | World Economic Forum (weforum.org)
- What is Permaculture and how can you start a permaculture garden at home: Permaculture Garden: What It Is and How to Start One (read more on thespruce.com)
- Cattle are the number 1 source of greenhouse gases: Cows and climate change | UC Davis
Two non-profits in Washtenaw County fight hunger in very different ways:
Farm & food workers
The Farm Bill’s five-year proposal now being drafted offers the chance to reduce hunger, promote environmental stewardship and promote fairness to all farmers and farm workers. You can learn more and give feedback on the Farm Bill at this site.